Mount St. Andrews
2606m (8550ft.)

Located on the Continental Divide four km north of Kakwa Lake. Park, Major headwaters Smoky & Fraser rivers.
Latitude 54; 03; 25 Longitude 120; 10; 25, Topo map 93I/01


Named by Arthur O. Wheeler in 1923. George Kilpatrick, the pastor of St. Andrew's Church, Ottawa, was visiting the area at the time and had suggested to Wheeler that the feature be named after his church. Official name. Other names Smoky Mountain


Other Information

Mr. George Kilpatrick, the pastor of St. Andrew's Church, Ottawa, was visiting the area at the time and had suggested to Arthur O. Wheeler that the feature be named after his church. In 1929, surveyor A.J. Campbell, unaware that the name referred to a church, assumed that "Mount St. Andrew" [sic] was a direct reference to the patron saint of England, and named nearby Mount St. George and Mount St. Patrick after the patron saints of Scotland and Ireland, respectively; Mount St. David, referring to the patron saint of Wales, was designated in 1958.

"The peak....is the mountain described by Jarvis and Hannington in 1875 as Smoky Mtn, changed by R.W. Jones to Mount Jarvis in 1908, who also named the pass after Jarvis at the same time. Now it has again been changed to Mount St. Andrews. It seems a great pity to have so many of these early, very appropriate names changed to names that often have no special historical significance. The way it was prior to this last change, Mount Hannington was on the north side and Mount Jarvis on the south side of the exact height of land of Jarvis Pass; nothing could have been more appropriate in commemorating the very remarkable survey exploration trip in the dead of winter in 1874-75 undertaken by these two men." (May 1957 letter from S. Prescott Fay)

[Courtesty B.C. Geographical Names]

Back To PeakFinder Top Level