Photo: Looking west-northwest to Mount Whyte (left) and Mount Niblock from the Bow Valley Parkway
- 2983 m (9,787ft)
- First Ascent
- Naming History
- Hiking and Trails
Located between upper Lake Louise Valley and the head of Lake Agnes Valley; 1.2 kilometres south of Mount Niblock
Visible from Highway: 1
Ascent Party: C. Kaufmann, C. Klucker, J. Pollinger
Named by: Walter Wilcox
Named for: Whyte, Sir William Methuen (After working for the Grand Trunk Railway for twenty years, William White joined the CPR in 1884 and held various titles during the building of the railway. He became Vice President in 1910.)
Journal Reference: CAJ 19-158
Together with neighbouring Mount Niblock, Mount Whyte is the backdrop to the cirque that contains Lake Agnes and is one of the peaks in the immediate Lake Louise area. The first ascent was completed in 1901 by three of the guides who travelled to the Canadian Rockies with Edward Whymper, the Swiss climber who made the first ascent of the Matterhorn.
Sir William Methuen Whyte worked for the Grand Trunk Railway for twenty years prior to joining the Canadian Pacific Railway in 1884. He held various titles during the building of the railway and became Vice President in 1910.